Find the answers to common questions you might have BELOW

We recommend once they get their first tooth, or from the age of one year, as it will help to familiarise your child with the dental environment and get them used to having their teeth checked. Appointments at this age also provide your dentist with an opportunity to give care and nutritional advice which can help to reduce the occurrence of preventable decay. 

Always seek help from a dentist (preferably a paediatric dentist) as soon as possible. An assessment needs to be made regarding the health of the knocked tooth and whether any of your child‘s other (or developing) teeth have been affected. The child‘s age, and whether the damaged tooth is a baby or adult tooth, will affect the treatment. 

A primary (baby/milk tooth) is not usually replaced because doing so can damage the new (secondary/adult) tooth growing in the gum. However, you should store the tooth in milk and seek professional advice. Do not throw the tooth away, and try to find all the pieces of the tooth if it has been broken. 

A secondary tooth (permanent or adult tooth), however, will usually be replaced if knocked out. Immediately rinse the tooth clean in milk, or saline if available, before replacing the tooth in the mouth and holding it in place until meeting with your dentist. Hold the tooth by its crown and gently push it back into the gum, avoiding handling the root of the tooth, and hold it gently in place with a clean handkerchief or foil. 

If unsure, place the tooth in milk rather than water and seek advice from a dental professional.

Immediate medical attention is required. Call a paediatric dentist, or general dentist, for advice. 

If no paediatric dentist or general dentist is available, contact Westmead Children‘s Hospital on (02) 9845 0000 to speak with the Emergency Triage Nurse who will help you decide on your next course of action, or ring the Emergency Department at your local hospital.

If your local dental surgery is closed and it is outside normal working hours, please call Westmead Children‘s Hospital on (02) 9845 0000 to speak with the Emergency Triage Nurse who will help you decide on your next course of action, or ring the Emergency Department at your local hospital.

Yes, they can go back to school if they are feeling up to it. However, after a tooth extraction it’s best to go home and rest for the remainder of the day, as strenuous activity may prompt bleeding.

Ideally, no. Young children generally cope better with having treatment in the morning, when they are more likely to be relaxed, as opposed to after a long day at school, when they are tired and potentially irritable.

No, they don’t need to fast. It is fine for them to eat a light meal before their appointment.

They should not swim for at least 24-48 hours after a tooth extraction.

Paediatric dentists have trained for a further three years to gain supplementary qualifications as specialists in children’s dental care. They have additional skills in treating children with complex dental requirements and children with behavioural or special needs. 

We’re located in the heart of Bondi Junction at Suite 502 (Level 5), 1 Newland St. If you’re driving, you can park in nearby Eastgate Shopping Centre’s affordable car park (entry from Ebley Street or Newland Street). If you’re taking public transport, we’re just a couple of minutes’ walk from the Bus and Train Interchange.

We do our best to keep on time. You are welcome to call shortly before your scheduled appointment to see if we are running on time. Check-up appointments take 30 minutes.

No, we see patients with and without referrals.

Being a specialist practice, we are closed at weekends. We are open Monday -Thursday from 8:30am-5:30pm.

Being a specialist practice, we don’t bulk bill. After paying for treatment in full, you can make a claim with Medicare for a portion of the cost. Medicare has a fee schedule, with set amounts that it will cover for each item number. 

Yes. We have HICAPS facilities, so if you bring your health fund card with you, we can process the claim and you will pay the gap. We are not affiliated with any particular health fund.

No, the price is the same, as the patient will still be examined by a specialist.

Both our dentists, Dr Anna and Dr Jad, are highly experienced specialists in treating children with additional needs, so your choice of who treats your child may come down to gender preference.

Our clinic is open Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm. Before and after school appointments are the most sought after. We will do what we can to book a convenient appointment time for you.